This page is designed to help newly hired adjunct (part-time, temporary) faculty members through their employment process.
If you have not yet been offered a position with Los Rios, but are interested in becoming an adjunct faculty member, learn more about adjunct faculty hiring.
New Adjunct Hire Process
To begin the adjunct faculty new hire process with Human Resources (HR), a dean must first offer you a position. The dean will provide you with a fingerprint packet, which includes:
- A Request for Live Scan Service form
- A form authorizing our payroll department to withhold $32 from your first payroll warrant (for fingerprint cost)
- A memo regarding our tuberculosis (TB) clearance requirement
Get Your Fingerprints Taken On Campus
You can get your fingerprints taken at our campus police offices. Fingerprinting usually takes about ten minutes, but may take longer if there is a wait. We recommend you call ahead to confirm hours and availability.
Follow these instructions to get fingerprinted at one of our campuses:
- Complete all sections on the Request for Live Scan Service Form marked by an 'X'.
- Make sure both you and your hiring manager fill out the Los Rios Community College District College Police Fingerprint Scanning Authorization Form.
- Follow the Instructions to Applicant on the form.
Get Your Fingerprints Taken Through an External Agency
Visit the California Attorney General's website to find contact information for agencies that do Live Scan fingerprinting.
If you choose to get your fingerprints taken outside of Los Rios, then follow these instructions:
- Use the form provided by Los Rios (this is required).
- Have your fingerprint clearances sent electronically directly to HR – you do not have to wait for the clearance.
- Pay the fingerprint fee charged by the agency you are using. Remember that $32 is withheld from your first paycheck. The "Rolling Fee" can vary by agency and is charged to the applicant at the time that prints are taken. External agencies charge a rolling fee – they control the amount and can change it at any time. You may want to call ahead of time to find the exact cost.
- Bring one copy of the completed Livescan form with you to your orientation appointment – do not give the HR copy to campus personnel.
Call or Email to Schedule Orientation
Call your HR Specialist to set up an new hire orientation appointment. Do not show up without an appointment.
|Last Name Starts With||HR Specialist Name||Phone|
|A to L||Nighina Khripunovfirstname.lastname@example.org||(916) 568-3119|
|M to Z||Kenya Runyanemail@example.com||(916) 568-3148|
When you schedule your appointment, you will be asked for personal information, including your date of birth, name, address, and social security number. You will also need to tell your HR Specialist what discipline you are teaching and your date of hire.
What to Bring
Bring the following items with you to your appointment:
- Your completed Request for Live Scan Service Form
- Your social security card. Los Rios uses this to verify that we will be paying and issuing W-2 forms under the same name that is on your social security card. Contact the Social Security Administration to request a replacement card if you have lost or misplaced your social security card.
- Documents indicating that you have the right to work in the United States. Generally, most people use their Social Security Card and their Driver License. Refer to USCIS Form I-9 (page 9) for a list of other acceptable documentation. We will still need your social security card, as noted above.
- If you have not already completed an online faculty application through our jobs portal, then please do. Your specialist will ask you to complete an application before your orientation appointment.
- A voided check if you are interested in direct deposit.
- Emergency contact information (the name, phone number, and address for two emergency contacts)
You will also need to order official, sealed, un-opened transcripts. Your transcripts will be due in HR no later than 60 days after your date of hire. The transcripts are required for two reasons:
- To verify that you meet the minimum qualifications for the discipline that you are teaching.
- Your class placement is based on your education. Learn more about class/step placement and advancement for adjunct/overload faculty). Please note that all adjunct faculty members start on step 1.
You can request that your transcripts be sent to your home, and you can walk them in to HR; or, you can have them sent directly to your HR Specialist. If you choose to have your transcripts sent to your home, make sure that the envelope does not get opened! We cannot accept the transcripts if the envelope has been opened.
Because salary placement is based on degrees and units earned, you will want to order all of your transcripts (bachelors, masters, and so on). If you have a doctorate degree and if the discipline that you are teaching is the same discipline as your doctorate degree, then you will only need to order your doctorate transcript. If the disciplines are different, then you will need to order all of your transcripts because according to the LRCFT Contract (PDF) – section 18.104.22.168.1 states, "Doctoral Degrees must be earned in a field directly related to the initial assignment."
Degrees earned outside of the United States must be evaluated in the United States in order to be used. Learn more about foreign transcript evaluation.
You are also required to meet the Tuberculosis Clearance Requirement (PDF) within 15 days of your date of hire. We offer TB risk assessment and TB skin testing, if needed, and Certificates of Completion for employees, free of charge, at our campus health centers. Please contact the campus health center for testing hours. You also have the option of seeing your own personal physician. Or, if you already have a recent (less than four years old) TB skin test result, Interferon Gamma Release Assay (IGRA)* result, or TB risk assessment along with a Certificate of Completion from another community college district, private or parochial elementary school, secondary school or nursery school, you may send us a copy.
If you have retired from the State Teachers' Retirement System (STRS) you will be required to submit a Freedom from Disabling Disease Form (PDF). The form must be mailed directly from your physician to your specialist before you start working. A physical is required for your physician to complete the form unless you have already had a physical no more than six months prior.
New hire orientations are conducted at the District Office Human Resources Office.
New hire orientation/employment processing takes about one hour and is usually done as a group. Please let your specialist know in advance if you need special accommodations.
Please arrive on time! We schedule group appointments and cannot hold up an entire group or start over after we have already started the orientation. Therefore, if you are late, you will be rescheduled.
Bring your paperwork! The fingerprint paperwork and your documents that indicate that you have the right to work in the United States are crucial. Please do not forget them because we might have to reschedule your appointment if you don't have the requested paperwork.
You will receive a lot of information during orientation, including:
- Information on available medical and dental benefits (you are not eligible until you have taught two of the last five semesters, excluding summer).
- Information on Unemployment Insurance (UI) – your work is covered by unemployment; however, Los Rios employees do not pay into State Disability Insurance (SDI).
- How class and step placement works (for salary placement purposes) and where and when to pick up your paycheck or direct deposit paystub.
- Information on the Los Rios College Federation of Teachers (LRCFT), the union that represents certificated employees. The LRCFT collective bargaining agreement is online.
- The option of enrolling in the State Teachers' Retirement System (STRS) or, if you are already a member of their system, the Public Employees' Retirement System (PERS).
Los Rios Email Setup
We will automatically set up a Los Rios email address for you, but it may take a couple of days after orientation to become available. Contact your area dean for password and/or activation policy.
If two full business days pass after your orientation and you still haven't received your email address instructions, then contact your HR Specialist or the Help Desk.
View Class Rosters
Once you have your email address, you can log onto inside.losrios.edu and follow the instructions for your campus to view your class rosters.
Get an Employee Parking Permit
Learn more about how to get an employee parking permit from your campus police center.
Salary Schedule Placement
Within a couple of months you will receive a letter from your specialist indicating where you have been placed on the salary schedule. The letter will tell you from which educational facilities we have received official transcripts and will give you a detailed explanation of how you were placed. If you have been paid incorrectly and as long as your transcripts were received by the deadline date, you will automatically receive an adjustment for any monies in which you are due. Please notify your specialist immediately, in writing, if you find an error in your transcript evaluation. Please sign one copy of your letter and return it to your specialist by the requested due date.