BFSA: Employee Resource Group
"You are where you are today because you stand on somebody’s shoulders, and wherever you are heading, you cannot get there by yourself. If you stand on the shoulders of others, you have a reciprocal responsibility to live your life so that others may stand on your shoulders. It’s the quid pro quo of life. We exist temporarily through what we take, but we live forever through what we give."
— Vernon Jordan
The Black Faculty and Staff Association (BFSA) Resource Group provides support, advocacy, and community to employees who identify as Black, African, and African American. The association, established in 2005, works towards equity and inclusion in recruiting, hiring, and retention of diverse employees and is committed to creating a sense of employee community recognizing rich heritage, culture, traditions, and movements.
The Black Faculty and Staff Association:
- Works with the district to ensure that policies and practices are equitable and inclusive of the Black, African, and African American community/experience
- Aids in recruiting, training, and retaining Black, African, and African American individuals for classified, faculty, and administrative/executive positions (annual spring hiring workshop)
- Offers community for Black, African, and African American employees by hosting several employees social gatherings and participating in Sacramento cultural events
- Presents student support campaigns and events (BFSA Student Welcome Back and Celebration of Excellence and Achievement for Students of African Descent)
The Black Faculty and Staff Association Resource Group provides numerous opportunities for employees to engage, celebrate, contribute, and learn in community (the following are examples):
- Dr. King holiday march and diversity expo
- Community outreach through Los Rios Community College hiring workshop
- Spring and fall student welcome back campaigns
- Student scholarship campaign
- Celebration of excellence and achievement for students of African descent
- Spring and fall social gatherings
- Leadership retreats
- Holiday brunch
- Winter break community events (for example, Kwanzaa)
Mellonie Richardson currently serves as the BFSA President, working with a diverse districtwide employee leadership team. The leadership team consists of one Vice President, representing each of the Los Rios colleges and the District Office, a secretary, and treasurer. The association is governed by bylaws and policies, voted on by its membership body.
If you are interested in participating in BFSA events and/or contributing to the leadership team, then please contact Mellonie Richardson at firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line "BFSA."
Employees are invited to join the association’s member/employee-only Facebook group: Los Rios CCD Black Faculty & Staff Association Facebook Group.
Mellonie Richardson (District)
Clarence Stokes (ARC)
Traci Scott (CRC)
Melanie Dixon (District)
Yvonne Price (FLC)
Debra Crumpton (SCC)
Join our Facebook Group:
Los Rios CCD Black Faculty & Staff Association Facebook Group
(Note: this is a closed group for employee members only)