Steps to Hire a Classified Employee
- The supervisor – in coordination with the vice president of administration (at a college) or appropriate district office manager – completes a posting request in PeopleAdmin.
- The vice president of administration or manager approves the posting and forwards it to the human resources director.
- The human resources director approves and forwards the posting to Fiscal Services for a position number, transaction number, and approval.
- The completed posting is returned to human resources, who then opens the position. Positions are advertised for a minimum of ten business days.
- After the position closes, all applications are screened by Human Resources. Applicants who do not meet the minimum qualifications are notified via email from Human Resources. The remaining applications are forwarded to the college/work site in accordance with the appropriate collective bargaining language regarding lateral transfers, promotions, and so on.
- After interviews are held and a successful candidate is identified, the human resources director is notified and will make the official job offer.
- After a candidate accepts the job offer, they must be fingerprinted if they do not have fingerprint clearance information already on file. If a pre-employment physical is required, then they will be contacted by Human Resources for an appointment.
- Following clearance of a candidate's fingerprints and physical (if required), Human Resources contacts the candidate to schedule an employee orientation appointment.
New Positions/Job Descriptions
A vice president of administration or district office manager works with the human resources director to draft a new job description. New job descriptions must be approved by all vice presidents of administration. The human resources director will consult with the collective bargaining unit regarding the particulars for the position.
Changing an Existing Job Description
A vice president of administration or district office manager works with the human resources director to make changes to an existing job description. Changes to an existing job description must be approved by all vice presidents of administration and reviewed by the collective bargaining unit.
After you hire a classified candidate, return the following forms to the vice president of administration or district manager:
- Classified Employment Form P-137 – to be completed by the Equity Officer/Representative
- Equal Opportunity Employment Checklist Form P-130– to be completed by Equity Officer/Representative
- Reference Check Form – reference checking can be completed by the hiring department, or by Brenda Balsamo, Director of Human Resources
- Interview questions
- Individual rating sheets
- Screening criteria