Skip to Content


Employment Service Agreements (ESA) are used to pay employees for certain academic assignments that are not part of their regular load, adjunct, or overload work (which require CCCCO faculty minimum qualifications).

Professional Expert Agreements (PEX) are used to pay employees for non-academic, non-classified services on a short-term, temporary basis for specific projects that require professional expertise.

ESA or PEX – Which Do I Use?

Refer to our ESA/PEX Quick Reference Guide or review our flow charts to figure out whether to use ESA or PEX.

If you're unfamiliar with the ESA/PEX process, then review the ESA/PEX Presentation or email Human Resources to request an ESA/PEX workshop.

Hiring Forms

If you are hiring someone under an ESA or PEX assignment who has previously worked for Los Rios under an ESA or PEX, then Human Resources will review the employee's personnel file and let you know if any documents are missing.

If you are hiring an employee under an ESA or PEX who has never worked under an ESA or PEX before, then new hire paperwork is required.

ESA/PEX Hiring Forms

Additional Resources

Flow Charts

Use the following charts to determine whether an employee should be paid under an ESA, PEX, independent contract, or temporary classified assignment. Board members, managers, and regular classified employees are not available for ESA/PEX.

* These employee types are not eligible for concurrent assignments.

60% Rule and 67% Law

Learn about the difference between the 60% rule and the 67% law and how each applies to certificated employees.

Paying ESA/PEX Employees

An ESA employee's salary is based on class/step placement, while a PEX employee's salary is based on level of expertise.


Adjunct Senate College Service Forms

Frequently Asked Questions